Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"Woman" or "Lady?"

Another random thought from the bowl from the past.

Now other than the "why am I the only one who does this?" and the "am I the only one who can change a roll around here?" thoughts that I have on a daily basis, I often get struck by pretty deep thoughts while cleaning the toilet. I don't know why! Maybe it's because I'm trying to distract myself from what I'm doing. Maybe it's a mindless task that I would rather not dwell on. Who knows.

But here's today's thought. What is the difference between a "woman" and a "lady?"

You see them used interchangeably all the time. "There was a woman behind me..." "There was this lady..." But I maintain that they are not the same thing. In my book "woman" is our gender but "lady" is a reflection on our behavior.

A lady uses a napkin; not her sleeve. A lady wipes her nose; not a honking blow. A lady doesn't curse in public and limits it in private. (I know a lot of you will take issue with that but that's my opinion and I'm entitled to it!). A lady is gracious and polite and uses tact.

Is there anything wrong with letting the "woman" out from time to time and letting a good sailor streak go? Absolutely not! I've had a few of those in the past few days. But I have to tell you; they weren't my crowning moments. Have I honked a time or two and in church at that? You bet your Puffs I have! Allergy season was probably in play at which point I don't care about anything but keeping my eyes from vacating my skull from the sinus pressure. Have I used my shirt tail to wipe a random face or nose? Absolutely but that's more "Mom" than anything else.

I'm just saying that there's a difference.

Oh! I forgot one...a lady puts the lid down!

No comments: