Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Blogging Confessional?

I think I missed another memo. Seems to have happened a lot to me lately.

There have been several posts popping up here and there around the blogosphere in which the author exposes "the real me." We're talking about raw, deep, dark, reputation endangering secrets that they are laying out there for the world to see. And then the link to that is tweeted out for even more people to see beyond their basic readership.

Now before anyone starts fussing that I'm being ugly or a hater let me go ahead and say this. If you are comfortable enough in your own skin to put your laundry out on the line on main street, you go right ahead. If you are prepared for the onslaught of people who are going to call you a drama queen, an unfit parent, or any other number of names, knock yourself out. I don't understand it, but if you do and if you want to do it who am I to tell you that it's a bad idea? Maybe it's therapeutic. Maybe it's a way for you to feel like you are being held accountable to make some changes. Maybe you want your readers to know the real you.

But that brings me to another point. Why don't they? How exactly does one become someone different just because they are behind a computer monitor? Perhaps it's just me and my approach to life, but I am what I am. The computer monitor doesn't change me. When I tell you that I want to V8 people who don't teach their children manners, I really want to do it. When I say that I despise brussel sprouts and the foul smell they leave behind, I loathe them.

I don't feel the need to open my life up to every dark corner. I confessed my struggle with depression but that's about as far as we are going to go. If you want to get to know me, hang out and read a while. I think you can get a pretty darn good feel for who I am without knowing what color my unders are.

So if you tuned in to this post in hopes of finding out some deep, dark, lurid, gossipy secret, I'll try to dig one up for you. Let's see.....My bedroom is....green.

Whew!!! I let you into my bedroom people! That one should set Twitter afire!

I have to go with Dame Judi Dench on this one. (As Armande in Chocolat) "Is this a batisserie or a confessional?"

It's a blog. And you'll get blog - nothing more; nothing less.

4 comments:

Jenera said...

I've noticed the very RAW stuff lately too. Eh, it's not for me. What you see on my blog is what you get. Sure there are things I leave out mostly because I have readers that I don't want to share particular things with (like some family). but I'm open and honest even with the bad.

Jennifer said...

I know I put out some pretty personal stuff not too long ago, but I have oh... 2 people who read my blog. =) And there are some things I won't even put there.

I'm totally jealous of your bedroom though. I want mine green (sage), but I think when we do paint I'm leaning toward a very pale yellow. Going for the warm fuzzies... LOL

Anonymous said...

See, I'm a trend setter (or follower) and I didn't even know it!

Staci A said...

You mean you don't want the world to know things you would never even mention to a best friend!?

It seems like the internet lets people air out just about anything. Whether they should or not.