Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Pain of Volunteerism


There are some days when I think being a hermit is an awesome thing. Today is one of those days.

I have a friend who agreed to be a room parent but in a very limited way because her job is incredibly stressful and when you tack on our lovely suburban nightmare traffic scenario, well, she's lucky if she can get home much less to school. When she agreed to this insanity there were three other parents also signed up. Guess who flaked?

So last evening, my wonderful, patient, overachieving, faithful to a fault friend (you know I love you!!) called me to get some help with a letter to send to the parents. I think I could taste her stress level over the phone. And she doesn't have her first RP meeting until tonite.

Bless her big ole volunteering heart!

And then you have my beloved sister. She may mock me on the phone. She may have lobbed many a joke about my physical appearance and mental well being out there into the atmosphere. But she has a lovely heart and is a very generous soul. Being such a wonderful person, she decided that she would try to volunteer at her local hospital. She had orientation this morning. Please read along with me as I share the text message exchange we had DURING her orientation.

B: Is it possible to commit suicide by paper cut?
Me: Do I even want to know?!
B: Is it considered murder if someone bores you to death?
Me: I take it the job hunt isn't going well and you don't feel like doing school work? (And then I tried to call her thinking she was at home going looney.)
B: Can't talk. I'm in the hospital orientation. ALL DAY....

3 minutes later
B: Kill me now. It would be a mercy killing.
Me: Are you going to do this to me all day? Because I can't just start giggling like this in public!
B: Probably, unless boredom does prove to be lethal after all.

2 minutes later
B: Reading my text books is like riding all the coasters at Six Flags by comparison.
Me: HOLY CRAP! (Because I know my sister loathes her finance courses and if she prefers that to orientation...?!)
B: I'm pretty sure these chairs are banned by the Geneva convention.
Me: You know I'm going to blog this right?
B: Glad I could help out with the blog fodder. At least something good will come out of suffering. All things work together...
Me: Think N could use the chairs as torture training?

30 minutes later
B: It's a conspiracy! When you are done here they end up treading you for back injuries!
Me: **I lost this line somehow. I made some comment about an elaborate marketing ploy.
B: Of course the injury could be from the chair or throwing yourself out of the chair in an attempt to end this torture.
Me: Aren't you glad you signed up for this?
B: On the upside the quality of my doodles is reaching my precollege level. By the end of the day I should be at bachelor degree doodles if not graduate level.
Me: So you'll be ready to illustrate "The Dino under the Table"?
B: Seriously. (and a note I've edited out for other reasons)
Me: Should I call N and have him send rum to the house?

That was an hour and a half ago and I haven't heard from her. I think the chair finally broke her!

So here's to all the volunteers out there. Keep doing what you're doing. I'll be in my cave playing hermit.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Ah, hospital volunteering - doing the jobs the paid people don't want! Your sister is a saint =) I did candystriping for a few summers in high school. I took a job with the dietician so that I wouldn't have to deal with patients. I ended up going to EVERY patient room collecting menues. Yeah, loved that. That reminds me... our grumpy volunteer comes tomorrow. The one that once said "you guys better kiss my (butt) for doing this (stuff)."