Friday, April 3, 2009

I Think I'm Going to be Sick.

I can't believe I just did that. I might need to go be sick.

I just turned down an offer to participate in a series on Parenting.com. We would have been interviewed and I would have had a chance to write a few blogs for them. My foot was in the door. And I pulled it out and closed the door myself.

I'm going to be sick.

But I have to know that I did the right thing. I did what was right for the family. The series was about families being impacted by the recession and how they are handling it. If you know me or have followed the blog for any time at all you know that we are being drop kicked by the recession.

My husband is a salesman for an Acura dealership. Yes, a car salesman. Pure commission. I am a stay at home mom. And before you say "Well, why don't you just get a job?" You know what the job market itself is like but have you coupled that with the cost of child care for three children? And even though Mo is in school, she would still require after school care and summer care. Here in the metro Atlanta area, to put three children in childcare, pay for car, gas and insurance, and still come out with just $1000 a month, I would have to take home over $50,000 a year. Do you know anyone who is willing to pay an executive assistant that? Because that is about my skill set.

We even looked at the idea of an overnight position but with Beloved's hours being what they are and the frequency that he has to stay late to finish a deal, there was no dependability that I could get to work on time. Couple that with the fact that a person's body will force them to sleep and you still have a problem.

Writing is my dream. I have wanted to write for a very long while and being home and blogging has allowed me to hone that skill and learn about different writing styles. Then Parenting comes knocking and I turned them away.

I definitely need to be sick. I guess I just have to keep praying that another opportunity will come up. This one came, right? There will be more. I just have to keep praying and writing.

And go brush my teeth.

12 comments:

Buck Rogers said...

Sarah,

You keep writing good stuff and I have to keep coming out of google reader. Why did you turn it down? Was it a time thing or what?

Anonymous said...

what was the offer? would it be real time consuming or something?

if Sexy Beast hadn't told me that I will be buried in my current vehicle I'd totally come to Atlanta and buy an Acura MDX from your Beloved.

Sarah said...

For the sake of anyone else who comes along with the same question. It would have involved me sharing our personal financial situation with strangers and I am not emotionally prepared to do that. I don't even discuss our finances with my parents. How could I open them up to perfect strangers? It was more of an emotional roadblock for me than anything else. Which may have been what Parenting was looking for actually.

Jenera said...

A couple times I have looked at finding a job but now with two kids I'd be paying to go to work. So instead I'm working on fulfilling my dream to do photography.

::hugs::

Jennifer said...

I'm so sorry that it didn't work out for you. I can understand. Nothing makes me angrier than when my husband tells his parents all about our finances. And when they aren't good, I get even touchier. It's cliche, I know, but try to keep your head up and believe that it WILL happen.

Unknown said...

Sorry about that.

Laura Marchant said...

If it makes you feel better I think I would have turned that down too. I am not sure I would have wanted to talk about that in such depth. Do you know what I mean? A lighter or funnier topic would be better for me.

Amanda said...

I can't say as I blame you. Finances are not exactly anything any of us want to talk about. Not unless it's techniques and strategies, but not our actual household numbers.

Wyn said...

Finances are a touchy subject any way you look at it. You have their attention already. I'm sure they will contact you again down the road.

Staci A said...

I don't think I could put myself or family out there either. I'm sure it was a very tough decision, and I'm sorry it didn't work out. But, just remember, it goes to show that people are reading, and respect what you have to say. I'm sure they'll be more offers that work for your family.

Shannon said...

"Finances are a touchy subject any way you look at it. You have their attention already. I'm sure they will contact you again down the road."
I agree.

Lorie Shewbridge said...

You write very well, and as you said, one offer came, more will follow!!